Sunday, May 20, 2012

Simple Things

I was going to write about something else today. As I normally do on Sundays, I wanted to share something simple and small that I brought me joy this week.

But then I read this article and I could not bring myself to write about small things. Not right now, at least. Because I am angry and a little bit ashamed.

And lucky. So very lucky.

That I grew up with two parents who loved me every minute of my life (even when they were angry or disappointed). That I always, always knew that their love was there.




That I have three siblings who always loved me (even if we spent years fighting).

I was loved by grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, next-door-neighbors, parents' best friends, my own best friends.

I grew up in a world in which I never, for one second, questioned my own worth.

I am not ashamed at my privilege. I would never think of giving away the love that I have received in my life. But I forget too often to think about those who do not live with such privileges.

Thank you to Kristen (Rage Against the Minivan) for helping me to remember.

1 comment:

  1. I read the blog post you linked to. Very thought provoking. I was adopted when I was six-months-old and was so blessed to grow up in a loving, supportive two-parent family. I so agree that this political contention about the roles of women is down-right disgusting when we have so many disturbingly pressing issues in the world. Thanks for this post. It really gave me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete