Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Re-Organize

If you read my post yesterday, you will know that there is some chaos around here right now. It has me on a bit of a re-organizing spree. I have to find order somewhere in my world, I guess.

For a family living entirely off of a graduate student stipend, we are lucky to have a roomy home with exorbitant storage space. That is one of the few upsides to living in this part of the world. Cheap real estate and giant closets. My sister lives in a Philadelphia row home and always makes fun of us for this. As she puts it, she opens up one of our many large cabinets and finds in there only a single, lonely tube of toothpaste, in the cabinet next door, two toothbrushes.

Okay, so that might be a bit of an exaggeration. And to be fair, homes here do not have basements and the attics are usually just barely crawl spaces, so everything we own has to be stored in the main living area of our home. Still really...large...closets.

I have been working for a few weeks on pulling apart and reorganizing the two closets in our guest room. This room is seriously multi-functional and it is hard to figure out where to keep all of the different types of things that find their way here. It is the office, guest room, media room, craft and sewing room, and some of the time playroom. Most of the time, it is also the dumping ground for anything that does not have a clear home elsewhere.

It feels so good to finish this project that I thought I would share it with you. A pat on the back for Katie, please.

This is what it looked like a few weeks ago, when I could not even close the closet doors:





And this is not even showing the other half of the room, which was equally filled with bags and boxes of paper, fabric, old bills, random empty boxes, etc. In the sorting and purging, I found two checks waiting to be deposited, all of those silly vacuum cleaner attachments, and lots and lots of missing toys.

Anyway, I am still cleaning up a last pile or two...just in time for guests to arrive today. (Gasp!) But it is looking so much better. I separated everything so that all of the office and kids' craft supplies are now in the left closet and my sewing supplies are in the right. We tried to leave a little space in the right closet as well so that guests can hang clothes and store their suitcases, although we will probably have to shift the vacuums to a temporary home (another one of our enormous storage areas) when we do have visitors.

So, I moved a small, underused dressed into the closet and and repurposed tons of containers, pots, baskets and bins from other parts of the house. I tried to avoid buying anything new to contain or organize, though we did get a metal shelving unit to keep better track of the quickly accumulating fabric stash. Now am I just crossing my fingers that all of my efforts to keep certain things high out of reach of little fingers will be successful. My little guys just know how to climb all too well...







Linking up today with:

IHeart Organizing

5 comments:

  1. looks great! that must feel so nice to have it organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is like living in a new house!

      Delete
  2. Yay for getting organized, it always feels sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can never seem to get enough of it...Which is good because I live with two little boys and a scatterbrain for a husband. There is always more to do.

      Delete
  3. Visiting via sew Liberated, wow you do have great closets - closet envy here. I am slowly working on organizing our place, the guest room aka dumping ground is on my list. I am always more productive when organized.
    Like the dresser idea for paper - good work

    ReplyDelete