Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A DIY Hanging File Organizer

I finished my project for the Feather Your Nest contest at Stumbles & Stitches. I have been thinking about making this for a long time and it was perfect to have this contest to push me finally to get it out of my head and into reality.

I saw this mail hanging mail organizer a long time ago on Pinterest and wanted to make one for my office. Cute, right? And pretty simple to make.



I wondered how sturdy it would be once it was loaded up with stacks of papers, though. So, I started to think about how I could reinforce it a little. Of course, this complicated the project a bit and since I am fairly new to sewing it took me quite a long time to figure out how to make it work. Here is what I ended up with.


I did not have to buy anything for this project. Between repurposed materials and leftovers from other projects, I had everything I needed. I used some leftover canvas from the placemats the boys made for their grandmother's birthday and a piece of cardboard cut from an old box. The appliqué fabric came from a couple old shirts and from my scrap fabric basket. The ribbon was leftover from the bag I made for my nephew's second birthday.

So, I made the organizer by folding the canvas in thirds. The top two layers were sewn into pockets and in between the two back layers, I inserted the cardboard before sewing it closed.


It is seriously sturdy and ready to be filled. I threw a few things in there just to see what it would look like, but it has room for quite a bit more. The organizer I found on Pinterest was labeled with card stock cards, but I opted to leave the words off of this project. I wanted to try my hand at appliqué and decided to use different animals as symbols: The bunny pocket is for things I need to get to right away. The turtle pocket contains items that can wait a little longer, that will cycle into the bunny pocket a little bit at a time. The beaver pocket is for things that are ready to be filed or otherwise put away.


Hopefully this little project will help me get some papers off of my desk and will motivate me to take care of them rather than allowing them simply to pile up.

Would you use a file system like this one? What do you do to keep your desk clear and your paperwork completed?


Feather Your Nest with Stumbles & Stitches

1 comment:

  1. Your hanging file organizer is really cute! It’s great that you didn’t need to buy anything to make it because you used your other scrap materials from other DIY projects that you made. I also like how you used animal symbols to represent the categories of your files.

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete